Allergy Services for Children . . . and Adults!
Did you know Texas is one of the WORST places for Allergies? Why? Temperature Climate. This means plants in Texas only endure occasional periods of freeze, if any at all! When this occurs this allows the plants to pollinate all times of the year, even during our winters which then results in having allergies throughout the entire year.
No need to worry any longer Pediatric Offices at Willow Bend have the solution for you AND your children!
Our pediatrician’s office now offers an on-site allergy clinic to better diagnose and treat child and adult allergies. We can test for the cause of that persistent running nose or that rash that you, your child, or a friend gets every spring.
We will discuss with you and your child the types of symptoms they are experiencing and then perform allergy testing on you or your child to verify the allergens causing the symptoms. Testing is done via percutaneous skin tests. Percutaneous testing involves making a small (painless) scratch on the skin and exposing an allergen directly to this scratch. We then wait approximately 15 minutes to see which allergen have created red bumps on the skin. Those that create bumps are your or your child’s allergens and the larger the bump, the greater the sensitivity to this allergen.
Your child will have a pop-ice and watch their favorite video during the testing. Please reassure them the most they will feel is a little itching, relieved by a cool Aloe Gel.
Once we know the cause of the symptoms, we can work on treating the allergy and increasing your family or friends’ quality of life.
You or Your Children’s Allergies with Pediatric Offices at Willow Bend
Allergies are common among children and more common among children whose parents have allergies. Symptoms can range from the stuffy/runny nose, skin rashes, stomach cramps, nausea and insomnia, as well as more intense issues like trouble breathing and asthma. Whether you or your child is suffering from seasonal allergies, food allergies, or any other form of allergies, we can help the whole family.
Allergies can be induced from many different triggers. You or your child may suffer from one or more of the following types of allergies:
- Food allergy – such as eggs, nuts, milk, etc.
- Outdoor allergies – such as pollen, grass, bug bites or stings, etc.
- Indoor allergies – dust, dust mites, feathers, pets, etc.
- Other irritants – perfume, car exhaust, cold air etc.
Preparing for You or Your Child’s Allergy Appointment
When coming in for your family’s allergy testing, please do the following before or during the testing period:
- antihistamines, montelukast, antidepressants or high-dose long-term steroids should be stopped, depending on the medication, three to 14 days before the day of testing.
- asthma medications or short bursts of oral steroids may be continued, as they will not affect the results
- do not wear any scented products to the office on the day of testing
- provide a list of medications your child is taking
To schedule an appointment for allergy testing for your child, contact our office.
Our other pediatric services include:
- Educational Evaluations
- Flu Shots
- Newborn Exams / Care
- Phlebotomy (blood draws)
- Physicals – Sport, Camp, etc.
- Vaccines / Child Immunizations
- Vision / Hearing Screens
- Well Child Exams
We Also specialize in treating:
- ADHD / ADD
- Asthma / Allergies
- Developmental Concerns
- Special Needs Children
- Well / Sick Infants, Children, and Adolescents